Okra is a warm-season vegetable, also known as gumbo or ladies’ fingers. It is a good source of minerals, vitamins, and fiber. It contains a characteristic viscous juice that can be used to thicken sauces.
BENEFITS OF OKRA:
1) Prevents diabetes: Research has shown that in addition to its stabilizing effects on blood sugar, okra actually reduces blood sugar levels.
2) Lower cholesterol level: The pectin in okra lowers LDL or bad cholesterol, which improves cardiac function.
3) Prevent Constipation: The okra fiber absorbs water and ensures bulk in stools which helps prevent and improve constipation.
4) Prevents Colon Cancer: Packed with antioxidants, okra can provide much-needed support to cells in fighting off free-radicals that can lead to cancer.
5) For Skin And Hair: Vitamin c found in okra helps maintain a younger looking skin.Okra improves the overall scalp condition and fights dandruff.
How can you enjoy this nutrient rich okra?
Here’s an amazing and super easy roasted okra recipe that can be had as a mid-evening snack
Salt to taste
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh parsley leaves to taste optional
Freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the okra, and drain on a kitchen towel. The okra should be dry. Trim away the stem ends and the tips, just the very ends, and then place the okra in a large bowl. Salt to taste, and toss with the olive oil until coated.
2) Lift the okra from the bowl, leaving behind any excess oil. Place on a sheet pan in one layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes (large okra might take a little longer), shaking the pan every five minutes. The okra should be lightly browned and tender, with a nice seared aroma. If you don’t want it to brown as much, set the oven at 400 degrees.
3) Remove from the heat, toss with fresh parsley, if desired, and freshly ground pepper. Transfer to a platter. Serve hot.